Tuesday 21 June 2011

Storyboards and Layout



Completed storyboards for Lars Skare's 'J.Doe'. Really happy with how the work came out and the crew were pretty bowled over with the storyboard, had a great reaction to it. Such a relief. Got to go along on the shoot as an observer. I loved being out on a shoot. Went along on both days of filming, exteriors day 1, interiors next day, full days both.

A lot of food for thought about possible setbacks and complications that can arise, and the pure logistics - transport, food, shelter and warmth. Particularly sound in an exterior shoot, passing cars, aeroplanes etc. The actors performance would be fine, but there would be take after take just get good sound. I've experienced that before with sound recording, you go somewhere you think is quiet, a wooded park, only then, when you really listen, do you realise how much noise we live with - cars mainly. A park in the Southwest can sound like the streets of New York.

I also based a layout for submission on the screenplay. I don't have much experience of painting, so this was my chance to get my head round it - colouring mixing etc. The final piece is traditional, built up from water colour, through gouache to arcylic, then scanned and tidied up in Photoshop. My painting skills leave a lot to be desired, but I'm happy with the composition. It was a great chance to work with colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment